The debate rages on regarding which is better between soy milk and cow milk but one thing that is worth mentioning is that they both are useful food components. Soy milk may be having or lacking particular nutrients or vitamin sources as opposed to cow milk and vice versa but remember that they are two different foods.
Should you take soy milk or cow milk?
Both are recommended but the choice is yours.
What are the differences and similarities between soy milk and cow milk?
Soy milk serves the same purpose as cow milk and is a good alternative to general dairy milk. The choice on which milk type to consume is absolutely yours but what is important for you to know and understand is that both soy milk and cow milk have their ups and downs or as well as their good and bad sides. In choosing the best one for your consumption, you have to consider the nutrients and health benefits that both of them come with and settle on the one which suits your needs the most.
Check This: Two Lovely Low-Calorie Dessert Recipes.
Soy milk nutrients and benefits
- A cup of soy milk has 5 g of total fat, 4 g of carbohydrates and 80 calories.It also contains 30 mg of sodium and 7 g of protein.Soy milk is also a rich source of vitamin B6, Magnesium, phosphorous, riboflavin and thiamin.
- Soy milk is very high in protein. This is brought about by soy beans containing more protein than any other legume. Protein is helpful in building the body and its organs.
- Soy milk is also said to significantly reduce cholesterol level in the body and hence limiting the chances of someone suffering from a heart disease.
- Soy milk can be taken by lactose intolerant people.
- Soy milk is also low in saturated fat and is believed to contain 10% of the daily value of dietary fiber.
- Soy milk also contains iron which is needed for the transportation of oxygen across the body organs and parts.
- Soy milk is also rich in omega 3 fats which has a lot of health and nutritional benefits to the body.
- Soy milk contains greater amounts of amino acids as compared to cow milk.
Cow milk nutrients and benefits
- Cow milk contains about 30% of the body’s daily value of calcium. Calcium is does a very important role in the body like maintaining strong and healthy teeth and bones.
- Cow milk is also a good source of vitamin D. vitamin D is important in maintaining a healthy and soft skin.
- Cow milk has more proteins and phosphorous than soy milk. Studies have also indicated that cow milk and other dairy products can significantly reduce certain types of cancers like those that affect the colon. As for babies, it depends on their age. A baby under the age of one year shouldn’t be drinking any of cow or soya milk but rather should be taking breast milk.
- Pediatricians recommend that infants be feed on dairy based milk formulas as opposed to soy based formulas because of its similarity to breast milk. Soy formulas are also given to babies who are allergic to dairy products or are lactose intolerant.
When the baby is much older and is consuming other foods, it is the choice of the parent to feed him on soy milk or cow milk if in any case they are to be given to the baby.